USA Volleyball Junior Beach National Teams
The USA Volleyball Beach Junior National Team Program is the highest caliber program in the USAV Beach Pipeline. Athletes selected to the USAV Beach Junior National Teams are highly competitive beach players with previous national or international experience. Athletes selected to these programs have an ongoing commitment to improving as elite beach athletes and possess the physical attributes necessary to advance at the international level. On the girls’ side, most of these athletes have or will receive sand and/or indoor scholarship offers. Regardless of status in the program, all athletes must attend an annual Beach High Performance Tryout.
With the addition of several upcoming events (NORCECA qualifiers, Youth Olympic Games, etc.) expanding the junior beach season, USAV Beach is instituting a March to October training program to ensure that our teams are well prepared for all international competitions.
2014 Age Definitions
Beach National Team Age Classifications
Domestic Programs: These programs compete domestically only and are pay-to-play programs.
- Future Select Beach National Team (Under 15)
- Select Beach National Team (Under 17)
International Programs: These programs compete domestically and internationally and are supported by USA Volleyball and the U.S. Olympic Committee
- Youth Beach National Team (Under-19)
- Junior Beach National Team (Under-21)
- Novice Beach National Team (Under-23)
- University Beach National Team (Under-26*)
*Athletes who advance beyond the U26 team may be invited to train with the Senior Elite Development Team and ultimately the USAV Beach National Team. At these senior elite levels, emphasis is placed on results at a professional level over potential. For information on the USAV Beach Elite Development Team for athletes age 25 and over, please contact Sean.Scott@usav.org.
International Competition Schedule (2-4 athletes per gender travel to each competition.)
FIVB U23 World Championships, June 10-15, Myslowice, Poland
FIVB U17 World Championships, July 15-21 in Nayarit, Mexico
FIVB U21 World Championships, June 22-27, Larnaca, Cyprus
FIVB U19 World Championships, July 30- Aug. 3 Porto, Portugal
FISU World University Championship (U26), July 23-27 Porto, Portugal
USA Beach High Performance Championships July 16-20, Hermosa Beach, Calif.
USA Beach International Invitational July 31- Aug 3, Santa Monica, Calif. – TBC
Youth Olympic Games Aug. 16-28 Nanjing, China
* USAV does not control international competition, qualification, or nomination dates, and in some cases may need to nominate preliminary teams to events before the tryout schedule is complete. Please see cutoff dates in schedule for the last possible dates to be considered for international events. Please see this page for more information on selection for international events as it becomes available.
Since 2013, USAV Beach has been instituting an ongoing training calendar consisting of three eight-week training blocks for all groups EXCEPT the Future Select Beach National Team (Under-15). All teams will train in Southern California.
- Training Block No. 1 – March 18-May 12.
- Optional attendance.
- Athletes will be invited to this training block based on 2013 performance and/or 2014 tryout performance as they occur. Thus, some athletes will be invited in the middle of the block based on when they try out.
- Bi-weekly sessions (tentatively Thursday afternoons and Sunday mornings)
- Transition Week – May 12-18
- Second-Level Tryout, Mandatory attendance (U17-U26)
- Daily training for all age groups including any new athletes from recent tryouts. All athletes who wish to make the Elite Ten in their age group must attend.
- Training Block No. 2 – May 19-July 13
- After Transition Week the groups will be separated into two groups
- Elite Ten Team – Ten athletes per gender and age group who will be considered for international travel
- Training Team – Remaining athletes who will continue to train for the Beach HP Championships.
- At this time some athletes may be cut from the program.
- U17 program will consist only of the Elite Ten. Athletes who are not invited to the Elite Ten will be invited to the High Performance Team Camp (A2) or a High Performance Elite Development Camp (A3.)
- U15 program will not participate in Training Block No. 1. The Future Select program consists only of the Elite Ten. Athletes invited to Transition Week who are not invited to the Elite Ten will be invited to the High Performance Team Camp (A2) or a High Performance Elite Development Camp (A3.)
- Beach High Performance Championships
- All Elite Ten Team athletes are required to participate in the USA Beach HP Championships
- The top 10 Training Team athletes are required to participate in the USA Beach HP Championships. Remaining Training Team athletes will be invited on a space available basis.
- Training Block No. 3 – Aug. 11-Oct. 5
- Optional attendance
- Holiday Camps – Dec. 23-Jan. 7, specific dates TBC
Athletes who attend a BHPT after May 12 who are determined to have A1 level potential will be invited to train with the Elite Eight or the Training Team as space is available. It is strongly suggested that any athlete who feels they have the potential to make a travel team (top 2-4 athletes in their age group) should attend a tryout prior to May 12.
Please note that athletes will not be selected for an international travel team on the basis of a one-day tryout only. Tryouts are the gateway into the USAV Beach Pipeline, and most athletes need at least a year of training before they are ready for international competition.
Domestic Competition Requirements
- All Elite Ten and Training Team athletes in the U15, U17, U19 and U21 programs will compete in the USAV Beach High Performance Championships on July 16-20
- All Elite Ten athletes in the U15, U17 and U19 programs will be invited to compete in the USAV Junior Beach Tour Championships, July 25-27 in Milwaukee, Wis.
- All Elite Ten athletes in the U17, U19, and U21 programs will compete in the USA Beach International Challenge, July 31-Aug. 4 in Santa Monica, Calif. - TBC
- All Elite Ten and Training Team athletes in all age groups must play in a specific number of approved beach competitions (U15 – 6, U17 – 8, U19 – 8, U21 & U23 – 10, U26 – 12).
- All Elite Ten athletes must play in no fewer than half of these specific events as a BNT athlete with a BNT assigned partner.
- All Elite Ten and Training Team athletes must play four ladder-challenge matches per month (matches organized by players with and against other members of your team. Specific rules to be provided as well as reporting system for results.)
There is no cost for the U19, U21, U23, U26 A1 programs as they are Olympic development programs supported by USA Volleyball and the U.S. Olympic Committee
Tuition for the U15 and U17 Elite Ten program is $700. This includes:
- Eight-week training block
- Uniform package
- Entry into USAV Beach High Performance Championship
- Entry into three additional competitions (CBVA, AAU, USAV Junior Beach Tour etc.)
- Postseason evaluation
In order to keep track of your attendance and minimize the administrative work for your coach, you are required to register for every practice session through our web site. Registration must be made 12 hours before each session. Cancellations should be made within four hours. In case of an emergency cancellation, please call or text your coach and send a follow up email to the director.
Athletes may only practice “up” or “down” (with an older/younger group or a higher/lower group) only if invited by the coach and approved in writing (e-mail) by the director.
Outside athletes and/or coaches are never allowed at practice unless approved by the director. This includes parents helping out on the court (shagging balls outside the court is allowed.)
Because we are limiting the number of spaces on the Elite Ten teams to 10, it is vital that athletes let us know immediately if they will take part so that we may offer the spot to the next athlete. By accepting a spot on the Elite Ten Team you are confirming that you:
- Have a valid U.S. passport with six months validity remaining,
- Are a U.S. citizen and have not competed for another federation;
- Have the availability to attend the pre competition camp and travel to the event
There is no housing support available for U17 and U15 athletes. USAV is not able to match out-of-town athletes with host families. However, a roster will be provided as soon as it becomes available so that athletes/parents can arrange host families among themselves.
There is housing support available for U19 through U26 athletes in the form of housing stipends. Athletes will be given this information once they have been invited to the Elite Ten Team.
All athletes who are selected to the Elite Ten in their age group will receive a USAV Beach uniform package courtesy of Mizuno. Once received, athletes are required to wear Mizuno gear to all practices and competitions. Individual coaches may provide more specific uniform requirements.
All athletes are expected to attend practice regularly.
- Athletes will not be asked to miss school for training but may need to miss school for international travel and competition. Athletes are expected to schedule studying around practice times.
- Athletes living out of the area should communicate with the director when they will be able to attend, best times based on nomination deadlines.
- Athletes competing on club, high school, or collegiate team should be certain to communicate with both programs’ staff.
For questions about the USAV Junior Beach National Teams please see FAQ or contact BeachHP@usav.org.