The Racquetball Annual Awards are maintained to recognize those athletes and contributors who have demonstrated outstanding achievement in competition, leadership or sportsmanship during the last twelve months.
Joe Sobek Outstanding Contribution Award
This Award is based on an outstanding commitment to the sport of racquetball.
This award is presented to the State President who has exhibited outstanding organizational performance in their State.
John Halverson Fair Play Award
This award recognizes an athlete who exercised an exceptional gesture of fair play during the year or for an athlete who has consistently demonstrated a spirit of fair play during their sports career.
* Peggy Steding Female Age Group Award
An outstanding female athlete, age 35 and over, is selected on the basis of her performance for the preceding year
* Bud Muehleisen Male Age Group Award
An outstanding male athlete, age 35 and over, is selected on the basis of his performance for the preceding year.
* Female Athlete of the Year Award
Awarded to the most outstanding female athlete based on demonstrated performance in the previous twelve months.
* Male Athlete of the Year Award
Awarded to the most outstanding male athlete based on demonstrated performance in the previous twelve months.
** The general membership may not nominate players for the Female and Male Athlete of the Year Awards also the Female and Male Age Group Awards as these awards are based upon results of specific tournaments.
|Article requesting award nominations
||Deadline for receipt of nominations
|April (After Easter)
||Have a conference call to decide Annual Award Winners
||Results sent to USAR Board to be approved or rejected
||Chairperson contacts Annual Award Winners
Criteria for Annual President Award
- Two letters, or more, of recommendation must specifically address:
- Vision and leadership abilities.
- Relationships with people in their State.
Accomplishments and challenges.
- Recommendation from the USAR office to address:
- Increase in memberships.
Increase in tournaments.
Increase in the number of juniors and/or women players.
Quality of State Newsletter.
Quality of State Web site.
Presidential Award Nomination Form (Adobe PDF document)
The Peggy Steding, and Bud Muehleisen Awards
Will be based on, but not limited to, the seven tournaments listed below.
- USA Racquetball (USAR) National Singles Championships - May
- National Masters Racquetball Association (NMRA) International Championships - July
- International Racquetball Federation (IRF) World Senior Championships - August/September
- USAR National Doubles Chjampionships - February
- Choice Hotels US Open Racquetball Championships - November
- Women's Senior Master's Racquetball Association (WSMRA) National Championships - January
- National Masters Racquetball Association National Championships - March
The Male Athlete of the Year Award and the Female Athlete of the Year Award
Will be based on the four tournaments listed below in the U.S. Team Qualifying/Open Divisions. In the event of a tie, performance in the Pro Tour events will be considered.
- Pan American RB Championships (PARC) formerly Tournament of the Americas - April (conf. call)
- USAR National Singles Championships - May
- IRF World Racquetball Championships - July/August (Every two years on the even years)
- USAR National Doubles Championships - February
Please nominate an athlete if you know someone who should be considered for one of the above awards. All nominations must be submitted before the end of February. Award winners will then be selected in time for the induction ceremony at the USAR National Singles Championships in May.
You can email your nomination to Jim Easterling via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or mail your nomination to:
USAR Annual Awards
321 Village Drive
Lansing, MI 48911.
Along with your nomination, please list your name and phone number(s) in the event we need to contact you.
Other Policies and Procedures of Annual Award Winners [revised November 2008]
- USAR Board members are only eligible to receive "Annual Awards" which are based on performance criteria. The "Annual Awards" they are not currently eligible for include the: Contribution, Presidential, and Fair Play Award.
- Salaried employees cannot receive an "Annual Award" for "Contribution". For example, salaried employees are individuals receiving pay for a forty-hour work week performing the actions they are considered for nomination.
- Committee Chairpersons cannot receive an award of any kind given out by the committee chaired by that person.
- An award winner who attends National Singles will receive no more than two complimentary banquet tickets. In other words, if the person enters the National Singles, they already receive one ticket to the banquet with their entry; therefore, they will receive one additional complimentary ticket. If that award winner does not compete at National Singles but attends the banquet, then they will receive a total of two complimentary tickets.