: Costa Mesa, Calif. Event/Discipline
: Sprint Kayak, K-1 1000mHeight
: 6'1" Birthdate
: 10/10/1980 School
: Santa Ana College, Fire Technology Club
: Newport Aquatic Center
- 2011 US National Sprint Team Member
- 2011 World Championships in Szeged, Hungary: 7th in K1 500m C Final, 8th in K1 1000m semifinals, 27th in K1 5000m
- 2011 World Cup No. 3 in Duisburg, Germany: reached semifinal of K-1 1000m
- 2011 World Cup No. 2 in Racice, Czech Republic: 28th in K-1 5000m, reached semifinal of K-1 1000m
- 2011 US Sprint Team Trials: 4th in K-2 1000m, 5th in K-1 1000m
- 2011 SoCal Ocean Racing Surfski Champion
- 2010 SoCal Ocean Racing Surfski Champion
- 2010 USA Surfski International - 11th in K-1
- 2010 USA Surfski International - 2nd in K-2
- Nickname: Dickie
- Job: Firefighter, City of Anaheim
- Hobbies: My wife Melissa and son Rhys
- Quote: "'Trying hard' is the war cry of mediocrity"
- How'd you get started with the sport? Three years ago, I was looking for something to do on my day off. I bought a surfski and learned to paddle. A year later, former Olympian Cliff Meidl convinced me to try K-1.
- Who's your hero? My father. He taught me to work hard and to never give up. He taught me this by example.
- Trivia: When I was 19, I left home in South Africa and moved to USA. I didn't know anyone here and I came on a one-way ticket with only $500 in my wallet.
- Click HERE to read a feature on Rich in the Orange County Register.